Originally with my first leather mask, the Autumn Gryphon
mask, I planned on incorporating real feathers into the design. As I worked on it, however, I decided to keep it just leather without the feathers.
This mask, though, definitely called for feathers. As I painted it, I tried to mirror the red and iridescent green of the real feathers. The green on the mask is also iridescent, by use of an iridescent medium, so in certain light the green areas shimmer like the actual feathers do.
I'm still learning how to make these masks, but I'm quite pleased with how this turned out. I still have a ways to go before I get the hang of it, but I think I'm starting to learn.